Click on the date link to see the recording.
Click on the date to access the recording.
9 NOVEMBER 2021
- Effect of having x-refs in an ebook and also on paper – different wording necessitating duplicated manuscripts
- Starting from scratch – for visual and hands-on learners
- Indentation of tables – not an option!
- Editing documents
- Format and styles management
- Resorting items in the Binder
- Using comments / footnotes / annotations while transcribing taped interviews
12 OCTOBER 2021
- A workflow for processing feedback where you compile to Word for a reviewer, and they provided their feedback in Word
- Creating links to figures, and a table of contents for figures only
- Exporting material which you want to display as 2-column text
- Getting better organised and using Scrivener more effectively, and to its full potential
- Creating a memoir and/or a memoir template
- How to set up a project for a collection of short stories
- Inserting page breaks – to make chapters start on a new page
- Formatting issues – why what’s seen in the Editing pane is not what is output
- Controlling what appears in the Outline view
- Getting to know Scrivener without cutting into writing time too much
- Using ProWritingAid with Scrivener
- The Title page, Headings and Chapter format
- The new menu system in Scrivener 3 (Windows users)
- Bulk checking/unchecking of material to be included in a Compile
- Opening documents post Compile – an easy way?
- Setting margins while in composition mode
- Using Scrivener in creative ways eg to create a structured list
- Styling issues
- Keeping track of previous drafts
- Disappearing text!
- Importing writing from S2 into S3
- Combining several versions of the same project
- Exporting to PDF
- Setting deadlines for individual documents/chapters
- Using Zotero
- Importing videos and slides of classes attended
- Turning 80 pages of existing material into a Scrivener project
- Exporting to KDP
- Customising page sizes
- Creating book covers
- Compiling issues
- The Inspector – what’s it for?
- Transferring projects from Scrivener 2 to Scrivener 3
- Collections and the search function
- Menu shortcuts
- More formatting!
- Picture captions – how to format them
- Organising within the Binder
- Footnotes and Endnotes
- More formatting!
- Creating an output for an editor
- Why you might use keywords (metadata)
- The features of Scrivener: Binder, Editing pane, Inspector ….
- Using Scrivener to write a memoir
- How to make imported text conform to the same format being used in the rest of a document
- Dividing imported chapters into separate documents
- Notecards and how to coordinate those with your files
- What goes into the synopsis in the Inspector and how does it get there
- Formatting and compilation options
- Alternative sources of learning for anyone for whom the L&L videos don’t cut the mustard
- Issues with using Scrivener’s default templates in Compile
- Binder skills
- Comparing two versions of a project using snapshots
- Changing the font for a project
- Widening the text in the Editor pane (reducing the margins!)
- Position of the cursor when typing
- Outputting to ebook and Kindle
- Organising projects!
- Working with critique partners when you have Scrivener and they don’t
- Setting up the Binder, using elements from a default template in another project
- Secondary backup
- Importing web pages
- Images / photos an captions
- Split screens
- Incorporating comments from feedback partners/editors
- Academic use of Scrivener
- Using checkbox metadata to create to-do lists for scenes and/or chapters
- Word counts
- Images / photos an captions
- Viewing two pages, side by side
- Viewing two pages, side by side
- Protecting your WIP from power cuts, machine failure, Internet connection problems and human failures!
- Section types
- Formatting and compiling for ebook and paperback
- Choosing a font style/size for a section type
- Tips for the writing stage: to help organise writing and the best way to use section types at this stage
- Images needing to be incorporated for a family history book
- Corkboard overview
- Custom metadata for a timeline
- Discussion between Ninette and myself about project targets
- Inspector features
- Deleting titles from the Open menu?
- Creating PDFs to send to a printing company
- Formatting for full out and indented paras
- Creating an outline for a complicated structure – using section types
- Searching for character mentions
- Labels versus keywords
- Creating folders, sub folders, document via the Binder, the Corkboard, the Outliner
- Scrivener 2 versus Scrivener 3
- Formatting issue: How to avoid importing material which upsets the formatting.
- Formatting issue: How to change formatting of text in the Editing pane
- Formatting issue: how to impose a format for new documents in this project
- Formatting issue: how to impose a format for new documents in all future projects
- Blocked versus indented style – how to achieve indented style with the opening paragraph full out
- How to incorporate symbols (and emojis)
- How to incorporate letters with accents
- How to create cross references
- Two compile issues: pagination and separators
- How compile 15k words into Word Times New Roman 12 font and 1.5 spacing
- Saving work – versus autosave versus backup
- Section Types
- How to make a Template for short stories collection like you have.
- How to import a finished short story with # scene dividers into a Scrivener short story template
- Maximizing Outliner and other functions that help outline a novel
- Printing Outliner or exporting to Excel or another program to print
- Developing timelines for a novel
- Creating customized templates
- Fast/efficient ways (or “hacks”) to maximize the value of Scrivener
- How to format a summary outline and full MS for submission to an agent/publisher
- Transferring an 80K word WIP from Mac Pages to Scrivener
- Compiling: creating an ebook of poems; setting up a customised project format; section types; pagination; including titles; formatting text; vertical spacing; ebook covers; exporting to PDF
- Split screens / snapshots / revision mode
- Integrating external templates eg StoryGrid so tat it becomes ones of Scrivener’s template
- Including eg character/setting templates from another template into your new project
- Using Scrivener for short stories
- Outliner mode
- Timeline for a scene
- Save versus autosave versus backup
- Working with ProWritingAid
- Working on the same projects on two devices
- How to use Scrivener to outline after you have started writing, with index cards
- References and Bibliographies
- Importing webpages to a document/to the Binder
- Using Scrivener to write a play
- Starting from the beginning
- Using Scrivener for essays
- Recovering text from a snapshot
- Everything has disappeared!
- How do I transfer an MP4 (part of a course) into my project?
- Using Scrivener for non-fiction
- Why write in scenes? Why not chapters?
- Using Scrivener for memoir
- How to save a project template
- On opening, the project template instructions
- Page Set Up
- When to save
- Copy and pasting
- Strategy for collating multiple drafts
- Compile – 20 slides on selection, outputting, formatting and tags
- Sorting list items alphabetically?
- How to move large chunks of text around
- Footnotes: to be part of the automatic word count – and – have them count towards the daily goal?
- Using copyholders, quick references pane, bookmarks and split panes to reference other material while writing.
- How to collaborate with colleagues and editors
- PWA: But how do you actually integrate the program in your own workflow?
- A comprehensive easy to navigate guidebook, ebook, or?
- Sticking to preferred font in Editing pane
- Creating a book from blog posts
- Vertical spacing (padding / leading) and horizontal spacing (indentation)
- Table of contents
- Recovering from a messed-up default template
- Preventing documents disappearing when moving them around in the Binder
- How to get started!
- In non-fiction format, creating chapters with sub-headings in each chapter
- Copying material from Scrivener to WordPress?
- Creating A5 document with margins of 1” for PDF?
- Compiling hints
- Save vs Save As vs Backup; save/autosave/backup locations + timing
- How to create a new document, annotations, and creating chapters
- Importing footnotes from Word
- Printing selected scenes/chapters
- Corkboard use
- Save vs Save As vs Backup; save/autosave/backup locations + creating versions
- Export vs Compile – lost material?
- Shortcut codes to use like #, etc.
- Collaboration; Sharing a project;
- Tables and figures;
- Citations and using a ref manager
17 MARCH (there is a short silence at about 3 mins)
- Revision mode!
- Using the corkboard
- Font sizes: in the Editing pane, when you output through Compile, in the binder
- Tips for Writing and Editing
- Scrivener 3 for Windows
- The need for Word users to reframe their minds when working in Scrivener
- Scrivener stupid? How to get started …
- Tips and tricks for fiction writers
- Using Scrivener for the editing process
- Split screens – for writing and reference material
- Compile: How does it work? Can you still write/edit after you’ve compiled? (YES!)
- Using compile to output synopses
- Setting up a novel and its revisions
- Cross-referencing images, tables and equations
- Moving documents within the Binder
- Setting target word count for chapters/scenes and seeing the actual number of words written
- How to break a book into chapters, then use the various functions, and how Scrivener saves.
- Difference between Structured based and Section based docs.
- Metadata: how others use it?
- Importing images from the Internet
- Composition mode
- Autonumbering of figures and tables
- Using Scrivener for blogging
- Adding images
- Looking for hints and tips on things a new user might not know are there
- Images: Problems with adding too many images to Scrivener?
- Putting all into eBook and paperback
- Dimensions when trying to deal with Amazon
Too many questions! These were the ones discussed:
- Page numbering: Page x of y
- Controlling start/style of page numbering
- Headers – controlling front matter
- Compile strategy: too much trial and error?
- TOC issues
- Pagination discrepancies with Kindle output
- Chapters versus sections
- Backing up data
- Processing feedback
- Excel spreadsheets – can’t be imported into Scrivener …
- TOC page not populating …
- Endnotes and footnotes: Importing footnotes from Word
- Formats: fiction versus non-fiction
- Headers, again …
No questions! So, we talked about RedPen Mentoring and other membership options.
- Metadata – a complete overview
- Binder structure for a memoir
- Vertical spacing / separators
- US English / UK English
- Timeline .. How to achieve in Scrivener?
- How can Scrivener help with editing?
- Endnotes by chapter
- Scriptwriting demo please …
- Wrap it up to ebook, with cover to AKD?
- Status Stamps
- Compiling overview
- Tools to use to help with revision
- Double spaced output
- Blocked paragraphs after a heading
- Indented first line elsewhere
- Document titles within manuscript
- Automatic numbering and cross referencing
- Research techniques (listed last but discussed first)
- Revision mode
- How to get rid of spaces …
- Scrivener: for beginners
- Split screens
- Auto numbering
A bumper session!
- When will S3 be available on Windows/PC platform?
- Where to start – for a complete beginner?
- Compile process !!!
- Section layout assignment
- Including / excluding titles
- Setting section types
- What are Invisibles? Why make them visible?
- Speech to text – how does it work?
- Using synopses, notes and labels
- Creating and managing a file cabinet
- Track changes? How to use with Scrivener
- Indenting paragraphs using spaces
- Uneven paragraph indentation
- How do you put page numbers onto the page?
- How can you tell what version of Scrivener you have?
- Chapter numbers – how to format
- How to create new folders / structure
- Set up Scrivener so that the text is Times Roman, 12 pt and double spaced?
- Headers and footers?
- Scrivener tips?
- What’s the difference between Scrivener 2 and Scrivener 3? Is it worth making the change?
- Should you be using a PC or a Mac?!
- Compiling with a prologue and epilogue without the automatic chapter numbering going wrong
- Search techniques: using Boolean operators, saving as a collection
- Naming / renaming / deleting Scrivener projects
- More on compiling
- A look at overall organisation: from initial idea to outline to published book!
- Complete novice: where to start?
- Corkboard: why does anyone use it?
- Meta-data for multiple locations and POVs
- How to print out a synopsis
- Importing files – some not possible?
- Locking split panes
- How to find Scrivener project!
- How to get total word count before compiling
- Publishing: Best font
- Formatting: Best place to put page breaks
- How to have a Prologue and then to have Scrivener auto number the chapters (correctly) thereafter
- How to make better use of Scrivener
22 JANUARY – all about COLLECTIONS and how they are NOT METADATA, but can be used to search on metadata
- Where to start if you’re a complete novice
- Sources of help (online tutorials, etc)
- Why use metadata … when planning, writing, and editing
- Collections: how they are set up, why they are useful
8 JANUARY: Looking at Labels (metadata + changing colour), Chapter headings (shown in Scrivenings and output via Compile) and Sections (an introduction to Scrivener 3’s Section Types).
- How I find inspiration for blogging / writing
- What to do if you’ve run out of time and only have three days left to hit 50K
- How to succeed at NaNoWriMo … directions!
- What happens after NaNoWriMo …
- Why I write scenes and don’t group into chapters until I have completed the first draft
- Using Outliner to check progress and to determine which scene to tackle next
- If you get stuck mid-NaNo, running out of words to write, how can Scrivener help?
- What happens after NaNoWriMo?
- Lots on using the Outliner: to see progress to date against targets set
- Copying and pasting your manuscript / outline into Notes (or similar) and accessing via other devices eg iPad so you can write on the go during NaNo (without setting up syncing)
- Swapping between templates eg if you set up as a non-fiction but are writing a novel, and vice versa
6 NOVEMBER More on images in Scrivener text documents; importing text using copy and paste; annotations; validating the NaNo word count
- How to set up a Scrivener project so you can finish an unfinished novel, without cheating at NaNo.
- Selecting contiguously and non-contiguously!
- Having more than one window open on your screen – window control …
- Images – pulling them into a Scrivener project from the Internet
- Why use Scrivener for NaNo?
- Where do I start (complete novice)?
- Where can I get help?
16 OCTOBER: Mostly NaNo related topics:
- How to set up a new account on the NaNo site
- How to enter your novel information
- How I created my cover image
- Should you attend the next series since it looks like it’s all about NaNo? (Answer = YES!)
- When will Scrivener 3 be available for Windows? (Answer = no idea?)
- Research and how to pull in images from the Internet.
2 OCTOBER: Technical issues so the slides are a bit behind my voiceover … but only three very simple topics: Frontmatter; Searching and getting back to the binder; Finding files!
25 SEPTEMBER: Exporting to different formats; Compiling; Formatting; Fonts; Editing
18 SEPTEMBER: Several topics
- Using collections/split panes with editing tools eg ProWritingAid
- Organisation: Starting a new project
- Organisation: Setting up a compile for alternative requirements
- Controlling the onscreen appearance
- Using collections/split panes
- Setting up structured character sketches
- The best fonts to use
- Editing tools
- Levels/icons in the binder
- Making Status stamps visible
4 SEPTEMBER Several topics:
- The need for activation – don’t close Scrivener!
- Moving material around (binder, corkboard, outliner)
- Page breaks
- Printing out the synopses
- Finding projects using spotlight
- Outlining / corkboard views
17 JULY Three topics: all about the Corkboard; the concept of global tasks (‘big picture’ and ‘devil in the detail’); editing tools – ProWritingAid, AutoCrit and Grammarly
10 JULY All about project templates and scriptwriting in particular
3 JULY For beginners, where to start, where to get help. For those already using Scrivener, how to improve your use of Scrivener. Strategies for success!
26 JUNE Practical considerations: Software licence rules for Scrivener; Syncing … don’t – keep it simple and work to suit you physically and mentally; Backups
My MO (modus operandi) using various Scrivener features to write a novel, editing the first draft (as per recent blog posts) and then on to finished manuscript, ready for publication
The ‘big’ picture – how it fits together (demo later in the recording); Formatting features that are provided in Word – also available in Scrivener; Quickest way to learn Scrivener?
Outliner versus the Corkboard; Messaging – why use footnotes?; the Research folder
29 MAY All about the corkboard
22 MAY Still experiencing connection problems so no webcam for this recording. Topics discussed:
- Issues of incompatibility of the Clipboard between sources of text (Facebook comments, webpages/forms) and Scrivener; how to get around this!
- The Ideas folder in the Non-fiction template. You need to add documents before adding your ideas within them.
- Changing icons for folders and documents as an aide memoire
- Re blog post on creating chapters, discussion on the purpose of chapters in a novel, how long they should be, how many … the need to stick to scenes while writing the first draft, when you are still not sure of best order of scenes … iterative process (finite!) in determining the correct order.
15 MAY A delayed start due to technical problems so a shortened session covering three topics:
- How does the Ctrl Z (Undo) work and does it work when adding/deleting footnotes? (Yes!)
- Using Compile to export character sketches
- Pulling in images from various sources to the Research folder
24 APRIL Two big/broad questions:
- Explain templates, style, metadata and compiling – I did an overview!
- Compiling to Word: I explained formatting, the concept of parts. chapters and scenes (and levels) and how to create a TOC
After a slow start due to my Powerpoint crashing (so you can skip the first 2 mins), there is a full hour tackling four topics:
- Setting up a TOC (table of contents) using Copy Special / Copy Documents as TOC – see this blog post too
- Metadata: making best use of the Label
- Compiling – the importance of setting up a Compile Preset – see this blog post too
- Transferring a novel from Scrivener 2 on a Windows machine to Scrivener 3 on a Mac – using Import and Split
A short session (20 mins) including a peak inside Scrivener courses that I’ve enrolled on.
We discussed compiling generally, dragging images into a Scrivener project, creating a Table of Contents, and controlling page breaks. I explained what ‘levels’ mean in Scrivener 2: essential to look at the position of a document/folder in the Binder and the icons. I also showed how to export to Word, and to add line numbers to a Word document.
- What to choose when ready to compile and format
- Corkboard – what does it do?
- Importing from Word; import and split
- Splitting documents into two
- Writing scientific articles
- Stick with S2 or learn S3?
- Highlighting text
- Different views: of text, structure and metadata
- What does Scrivener do?!
- Outlining a book
- Backing up to DropBox
- Using collections
- User interface terminology
- Basic functions of Scrivener
- Adding page numbers
- Importing into Scrivener 3
- So much change (Scrivener 2 to Scrivener 3) … how can I absorb everything?
- How can Scrivener help a non-fiction writer?
- How can Scrivener help a novel writer?
- How can Scrivener help a script writer?
- How to cope with memory failure!